Tri-State Property Inspections

423-559-9495

First Aid for Electrical Accidents

source: NASD

  • Disconnect the appliances or turn off the power if the person is undergoing electric shock.
  • Cover associated electric shock burns with a dry sterile dressing only.
  • Never touch a person undergoing electric shock or you too could become a victim.


 

First Aid for Electric Shock Victims


  1. Don’t touch them!
  2. Unplug the appliance or turn off the power at the control panel.
  3. If you can’t turn off the power, use a piece of wood, like a broom handle, dry rope or dry clothing, to separate the victim from the power source.
  4. Do not try to move a victim touching a high voltage wire. Call for emergency help.
  5. Keep the victim lying down. Unconscious victims should be placed on their side to allow drainage of fluids. Do not move the victim if there is a suspicion of neck or spine injuries unless absolutely necessary.
  6. If the victim is not breathing, apply mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. If the victim has no pulse, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Then cover the victim with a blanket to maintain body heat, keep the victim’s head low and get medical attention.

First Aid for Electrical Burn Victims

Electrical burns vary in severity depending upon: (1) how long the body is in contact with the electric current; (2) the strength of the current; (3) the type of current; and (4) the direction the current takes through the body. Often these burns are deep. There may be more than one area burned. One area may be where the current entered the body and another may be where it left. Electrical burn wounds may look minor on the outside, but could be severe on the inside.

If a person has received an electrical burn, check for shock and follow the steps outlined above. If the person is conscious and there are no signs of shock (such as being cold, clammy, pale and having a rapid pulse), begin treating the burned area. Do not apply grease or oil to the burn. Cover the burn with a dry, sterile dressing, but do not cool the burn. Keep the victim from getting chilled. Seek medical attention as soon as possible.

 

Share:  Add to Facebook Tweet This Add to Delicious Submit to Digg Stumble This

Mr. Dan Linderman is an incredibly professional and very knowledgeable person as well as a home inspector. When he arrived at the home he greeted my wife and I with nothing but a firm handshake and bright smile. He spoke with us for a few minutes and got right to the inspection. He brought us into the home and went over with us everything he was about to do and asked if we had any questions and said if I'd like to walk with him while he did the inspection, I was more than welcome. While going through everything he was telling me what he was doing while teaching and showing me things I didn't know as well as letting me know what to look for as the years pass, on the house (deterioration, cracks as the house settles, pipes ect.) The overall inspection was absolutely awesome and once he finished up, he stayed and talked with us for a little while and answered any questions we had. I would recommend Mr. Linderman and Tri-State Property Inspections to anyone including my close family and friends, they combine good faith and workmanship and that is what I was looking for.

R.C., Ooltewah, TN

Last updated on  Mar 07, 2013